Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Diet is Key Component to Health

There are many fad diets that have been developed over the years. Most of which were impossible to stay on and were only effective when they were being implemented. Many of them would turn out to actually cause health problems. I have never used a fad diet, and have never considered a special diet for weight loss. My diet is to use moderation in fats, sugars and meats; and concentrate more heavily on fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and seeds, etc. There is still meat, fats and sugars in my diet, but to a far lesser extent than my past diet contained. My experience with moderation in these areas is that within 2 months, 15 pounds of useless unnecessary weight were removed. Within two more months another 10 pounds weight were gone. After that there has been small amounts of weight loss, but my health has been far better. My immune system is stronger with the less weight and better nutrition; my energy level has increased, and I feel younger and healthier.

These effects were realized with some very simple adjustments to my diet. I quit consuming soda pop and most sources of animal protein, and started eating plant based protein in greater portions. I am a hunter and was conflicted by the lack of meat eating, so I started innovating some of recipes. When sausage making time came this year, instead of adding fatty pork or beef trimmings to the venison, I added cooked pinto beans and brown rice. My wife and kids did not notice a lot of differences in taste and we enjoy a healthier meal. The texture and moisture content remain unchanged and the sausage can be pattied, or easily broken up for hot dishes, etc.

No comments: