Thursday, February 19, 2009

American Heart Month

February is American Heart Month.

Heart disease if the leading cause of death in the United States and is a major cause of disability.

The simple answers to avoiding heart disease are eat right and exercise often. Avoid cholesterol and triglyceride bearing foods like red meat, dairy and eggs. Eat more fruit and vegetables, nuts and berries, grains and legumes. I have reduced my meat, dairy and egg consumption. It has been fun to learn a whole new way of cooking.

A daily regiment of vigorous exercise is a good idea as well. At least 20 minutes of exercise that will get your heart rate elevated above normal is a good start. Work up to it at a safe pace. If you have concerns about the amount of exercise please consult your physician. I walk every day with the same group of people just like forming a small club. We can visit while we walk vigorously at a pace of 2 miles in 40 minutes. This is enough to warm me up and elevate my heart rate as recommended.

I also take supplements that work to avoid heart disease. I take an Omega 3 fish oil supplement, an immune booster, and a cellular detox product that I have written about several times. There are also fiber products and antioxidant products that support a healthy heart. See the sidebar "Related Links" for more information on supplements I recommend.

Be Healthy, Stay Active!

No comments: